Configure OpenVPN on Asus router
There are several reasons to install a VPN on your home router. First of all, the VPN on your router provides protection to all the devices on your network, so you don’t need to configure the VPN on each device. Second, devices that don’t have built-in VPN support, such as Apple TV, Fire TV, Xbox (Xbox 360 and Xbox One), Playstation (PS3 / PS4), Chromecast, and other media players don’t usually allow you not use a VPN, so installing VPN on your router is often the best option.
Most routers do not support VPN connections by default and third party firmware (not created by your router manufacturer) which includes VPN support must be installed . This process is known as flashing and can greatly increase the capacity of your router, but also generally void your warranty. The most popular VPN compatible firmware options are DD-WRT and TomatoUSB.
Most users don’t want to have to flash their new routers. Fortunately with Asus ASUSWRT, you don’t have to.
Asus high-end routers are among the only consumer routers to support OpenVPN. Asus ASUSWRT firmware natively supports OpenVPN in client and server mode.
This tutorial will work on any ASUS router provided with the ASUSWRT firmware. Here is the current list of supported routers: RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300
How to configure the OpenVPN client on Asus routers with ASUSWRT:
1. Download our OpenVPN profiles HERE
2. Connect to the Asus router control panel by typing the IP address of the router in the address bar of your browser. The default IP address for Asus routers is 192.168.1.1
3. Go to Advanced Settings and select VPN > VPN Client
4. Click Add Profile to configure a new VPN connection
5. Select OpenVPN.
– Choose a name / description for the connection
– Usename: your account name for the VPN
– Password: your password for the VPN
– Click on Browse to import one of the OpenVPN profiles that you have downloaded
Click on OK
It is possible to register up to 6 VPN connections
6. Click Activate / Deactivate to connect